[SQU] Strange getting external auth to work

From: Tim Tyler <tyler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:35:21 -0500

Squid experts,
     This is not necessarily a problem for me, but I had been working on
trying to get external authentication for Squid to work after testing Squid
without authentication. I added the NCSA module in as instructed by the
documentation. I worked on it for a number of hours while my Netscape and
I.E. browsers kept giving me authentication failures. I uncommented the
"http_access allow all" line as below:

http_access allow all
http_access allow password all

Naturally, my browsers started working without authentication. I simply
went back in and commented it out:

#http_access allow all
http_access allow password all

And unexplanably, my authentication began working. I didn't change any
other lines. All I did was kill and restart squid after uncommenting and
commenting the "http_access allow all" line. I wouldn't have thought much
about it except that I had to do this again when a day later I coverted
from NCSA's authentication to using the external radius module. I also had
to uncomment, restart, comment out, and restart for the radius module to
begin working.
    What would explain this??? Why wouldn't the configuration file take
proper affect the first time I set it and restarted? The config.squid file
ends up being no different than the first time. Is there a proper way to
shutdown and restart that might cause a new configuration not to take
proper affect? Do I have to flush the cache somehow first? Note: I tested
using a couple different machines and browsers. Everything is working the
way that I want, but I am curious as to why I had to go through the
uncomment and comment steps in order for the configuration to take proper
affect??? Any thoughts are much appreciated. -Thanks!
   Note: I restart squid everytime I make a change to the squid.conf file.
Tim
Tim Tyler
Network Engineer - Beloit College
tyler@beloit.edu