[SQU] Could squid cause download flood?

From: Li Ni <liny@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:50:19 +0800

Hello every one.
I'm sorry for my poor English, but I've met a serious problem, and need some comments from here.

I am a newbie, but I became a network administrator.
I am using squid as www proxy of my company.
The squid run very well when it's version is 2.2.STABLE1 which is shipped with Redhat 6.0.
In August, I replace squid from 2.2.STABLE1 to 2.3.STABLE3 which support 'myport' option.

On August 24, I notice this kind of log
"WARNING: Disk space over limit: 409611 KB > 409600 KB" in cache.log.
So I download squid-2.3.stable3-storeExpiredReferenceAge.patch, and patch the source. After complie, I start squid again, it seem to be all right until 24 hour passed.

On August 25, about 2:30pm, download flood began, the router which can monitor the net using show that there are many of web request and response data flow from and into my proxy server, I'm sure there are not any other service in the proxy server that can be used to access web except squid. On 5:35pm, cache.log got this
"2000/08/25 17:35:22| WARNING! Your cache is running out of filedescriptors"
until
"2000/08/26 08:10:26| WARNING! Your cache is running out of filedescriptors".
There are 1024 filedescriptor in my linux system.

The download flood last 5 days, it totally cost 60G WWW data(counted by router). After I restart the squid, the flood disapear, and never come again.

I am not kept the raw access.log file, only kept the week reports that generated by sqmgrlog weekly. From the reports the totally access data are far less than 60G only about 10G.

Where the other so many data come from?
Did many of concurrent connections cause squid error?
Or sqmgrlog didn't analyse log file correctly?

I do not know why this happen.

You can get my cache.log from http://202.118.2.101:8080/cache.log
and my squid.conf from http://202.118.2.101:8080/squid.conf
and see my reports of august from http://202.118.2.101:8080/squid-reports-weekly/