[SQU] SSL problems

From: Glen Blundell <gmb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:13:28 +0930

Our network is setup as following:

Browsers->Squid Proxy->Netscape Proxy->Internet

The squid proxy and netscape proxy lie in different organisations and I have
no control over the Netscape proxy and we cannot change our link setup.

Anyway, using the configration above I have SSL problems using IE5. Before
you blame IE5 let me tell you some stuff (IE5 may still be to blame)

If I connect Netscape or IE (any version) directly to the Netscape proxy,
everything works fine.

If I connect them to the Squid Proxy, they all work except IE5 and above
(IE4 works)

If I add the following line into my squid.conf:
anonymize_headers deny User-Agent
All browsers work through squid. But then I have problems accessing sites
which try to detect browser versions.

So to me (and Im happy to be wrong), IE 5 is doing something different in
the User-Agent header that either is really crap, or squid cant handle
(netscape proxy handles it fine)

Any ideas? (suggestions of "dont use IE" not helpful)

Thanks