Re: Cannot cache FTP request (HTTP experts advise needed)

From: Dr. Michael Weller <eowmob@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:50:19 +0100 (MEZ)

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> The heart of thins is http.c:httpCachableReply(), and this is probably a
> good place to start when looking into why the object does not get
> cached.
>
> Hmm.. reading the code it even has a comment that such replies are not
> cached when received from cache peers... I think you will find it if you
> look for it. A possible "fix" is to change the "return 0" to "return 1"
> some lines below that. This safeguard probably exists to protect from
> misbehaving caches.

Well, yes, my actual problem is I do not understand httpCachableReply()
especially because it checks zillions of internal bits, whose meaning is
unknown to me. I also do not want to change the caching of the other
files. Where would I put my "return 1" in httpCachableReply()
to deal only with this (or only a "little" more) case(s).

That cache peer, btw, is not a real cache but a virus scanner. It really
makes no sense to leave the caching to the peer here.

Michael.

--
Michael Weller: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob@ms.exp-math.uni-essen.de,
or even mat42b@spi.power.uni-essen.de. If you encounter an eowmob account on