Re: [SQU] Performance Question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:03:16 +0100

Sort of a similar thing.

By turning on TCP header compression you increase the effective
utilization of the link by sending more data in less bits.

By running proxies on machines with good TCP implementations, satellite
(or other very high latency high bandwidth) users can increase the
effective utilization of the link by having a larger TCP window to keep
the data flowing and correctly tuned retransmission timers to not have
unneeded retransmissions only due to the high latency.

Then you also have the interesting topic of proxies applying transport
transformations of the data. Such as compression. This can even further
increase the effective utilization of the link. There is a experimental
patch implementing such things in Squid (and yes, HTTP allows for it,
and it is even covered by standards)

What you need to keep in mind for all those approaches is that there
must be a proxy on both sides of the link for most of this, just as
there must be support for compressed TCP headers at both sides..

--
Henrik Nordstrom