[SQU] recommended hardware

From: Christian Schmit <cschmit@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 14:44:22 +0100

Hi,

We plan to setup a transparent caching service
using Squid 2.3 with WCCP. Testing has been
successful so far.

Now we need to buy the production servers for this.

I plan to start with 2 servers. They should be able to handle
together around 10 Mbit/s of www traffic. They should scale by
adding more servers to 45Mbit/s or even more.

I got recommended that it would be better for scalability/performance
to install more smaller servers than some big servers.

What is a recommended PC for this type of application?

CPU ?
RAM ?
IDE/SCSI?
HD Size ?
Cache size per HD ?
How many HD per PC?
HD should be formatted with what "block size" 1K, 2K, 4K etc...
Any HD models that can be recommended ?

thanks,
Christian