[SQU] problems with images,

From: Rob O'Donnell <robert@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 14:47:07 +0000

We have a FreeBSD 3.4 box running Squid 2.2.STABLE5. It has very low load,
only about 18 users allowed access, and seldom any simultaneous usage.
'Net connection is via a dial-on demand ISDN router connected to the same
100Mbps switch that the unix box is on. The main use of squid is to
restrict who has access to the net, and log what they are doing on it,
rather than as an accelerator. The box also handles mail, for about 60
users, but it's still not running under much load.

Everything has been working fine for ages, except suddenly, since the start
of this week, every request for a web page works fine for the HTML, but
images fail to load. MSIE shows a placeholder with a red X in it.
Bypassing the cache, and letting MSIE go directly outside works fine, so
it's got to be something to do with the cache system. Doing a telnet to
the sqid server, and typing GET <url of image> HTTP/1.0 returns an HTML
error page, headed "Connection Lifetime Expired".

I've searched the squid web site, and the archives of this list, for that
error, and the results seem to suggest increasing client_lifetime and
request_timeout. I have done this, and it's improved things slightly:
some images now load, and the ones that don't I can right-click on and
select "Show picture" and they appear.

Any suggestions anyone? What confuses me is that this is a very lightly
loaded system that has been working fine for at least a year, and now it
fails to load images. Just images. The text is generally fine...

Thanks in advance..

Rob O'Donnell.

--
APH Computers Ltd.