Re: [SQU] squid 2.3STABLE4 crash

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 22:17:48 +0100

--disable-internal-dns will most likely work around the issue.

What happens here is that the internal DNS client receives a odd DNS
reply it is not prepared to handle (from what it looks in the code an IP
v4 address with a size other than 4 octets).

It would be nice of you could spend some time on digging some
information out of this crash.

A good start is to make sure there will be a coredump, and that the core
is from the exact point where it crashes.

As the userid configured as cache_effective_user in squid.conf, start
squid with the -C option.

Then when it crashes, we should get a core file in the first cache_dir
directory.

Start gdb on that core

gdb squid /path/to/core

and type the following commands to gdb:

   backtrace
   print k
   print j
   print answers[k]

This will give some additional insight in what is going on here, but the
problem should be possible to fix even if you cannot get this
information.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker