[SQU] squid 2.3STABLE4 crash

From: Brian R. Landy <landy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 11:21:23 -0600 (CST)

Hi,
   For the past couple of weeks I've been experiencing a crash with Squid
2.3. I'm using RedHat 6.2 with their precompiled 2.2.16 kernel (but saw
the problem as well on an older system running RedHat 6.1 with a custom
2.2.14 kernel). Only some URL's are proxied through Squid
(primarily microsoft.com, dell.com, and yahoo.com). All my clients access
a different proxy (Netscape 3.52), but it routes requests for those few
URLs through Squid, the rest it gets directly. I saw the crash as well
on 2.3STABLE1.

Anyway, the problem is that squid will run fine for roughly 1 day. Then
over the course of an hour, it begins to crash and restart itself. It
generates this error message:

assertion failed: ipcache.c:382: "answers[k].rdlength == 4"

After around an hour, squid gives up restarting itself. I've searched the
mailing list and Bugzilla but didn't turn up the particular assertion I'm
getting.

Oh, I just remembered, yesterday I tried the latest 2.3 snapshot
(200010310000), and it has the same problem. The only configure option I
used was --disable-ident-lookups. Any ideas? Thanks!

Brian Landy
landy@alumni.caltech.edu