Re: [SQU] Squid Prompting for Password every time IE or Netscape is open.

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:22:51 +1100

Hi
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Mckellar" <Ben@hotlinesupport.com>
To: "Squid Users (E-mail)" <squid-users@ircache.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 8:52 AM
Subject: [SQU] Squid Prompting for Password every time IE or Netscape is
open.

> Hi,
>
> I am not sure if this is normal or it can be changed.

It's normal (and recommended) behaviour.

> At present whenever a client executes internet explorer or netscape the
> password prompt is displayed. # This is the default setup i believe.

At this point MSIE or Netscape cache the user's credentials.

> What i would like to know is:
>
> Is it possible to set it up in a way so it validates the user once, and
from
> that point on it remebers that user has logged on and will stay on
> until..say a certain timeout period hits.

Squid does remember the user - what is happening is that the browser is
forggeting - HTTP defines authentication as a per request header. In other
word _every_ request that is authenticated must include the authentication
credentials.

When your user closes MSIE or Netscape, the browser forgets the credentials.
There is an option to 'remember this password' that your users might be able
to user - but the security risk from that may not be acceptable.

> I am not sure if this functionality is possible but i would like to know
if
> it is.

In short, it is not possible. You might like to try the NTLM authentication
branch of squid, which for MSIE at least will provide seamless logins.

Rob