[SQU] How to route specified URLs to other proxies? Not a discipline of squid it seems!

From: Robert <mailingslist@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 08:21:13 +0100

Hi!

Some time ago I asked "How to route specified URLs to other proxies".
Quite a lot of people answered with lines similar to that:
cache_peer 80.160.102.49 parent 8080 0
acl FWD url_regex -i ^http://special.page
cache_peer_access 80.160.102.49 allow FILES
cache_peer_access 80.160.102.49 deny all
never_direct deny !FILES

I first thought that it works, but very often some pictures and
pages did not work from the other proxy when catching them
the first time, while direct requests to http servers worked fine.
I often had to use the reload button to get the full pages.
By shooting the problem with a sniffer, I saw that if the
client asks squid again before the other caches replys to
squid, squid replies that the proxy is not reachable.
I tried to increase every timeout value, but it didn't help.
After searching desperate for the error I tired it with some
cheap shareware-proxies with Windows and it worked without
any problems! My solution now is Netscape Proxy. Works very
professional.

Sorry, but Squid really sucks if it is not able to redirect requests
that contain a special site in the url to another proxy. It is definately
squid that does the trouble because all the other proxies I tried worked.

Robert