Re: [SQU] ident lookups and Squid responsiveness

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:16:05 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, David Osborne wrote:

> We'd like to use ident lookups on our Squid caches (2.3STABLE4) in
> conjunction with the Win32 ident daemon (identd.sourceforge.net) which
> would run on our open user area Win98 machines. However, we are
> concerned that this may degrade the responsiveness that the user sees
> while Squid waits for the identd response from their PC. I suppose I
> want to know if the ident lookup and logging are done synchronously with
> handling the request, or does the request proceed as normal, with the
> logging of the request and its corresponding ident occurring after
> either an ident response has been received from the client or the ident
> timeout has expired?

Depends how you use ident in squid's config file.

If you use the ident ACL then requests are blocked until
the ident answer comes back.

If you just turn on lookups with something like 'ident_lookup_access
allow all' then Squid does not delay the request to wait for the
answer. If there is no answer by the time the request is finished,
there access.log has "-" in the ident field.

Duane W.