[SQU] ident lookups and Squid responsiveness

From: David Osborne <David.Osborne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:44:44 +0000

We'd like to use ident lookups on our Squid caches (2.3STABLE4) in
conjunction with the Win32 ident daemon (identd.sourceforge.net) which
would run on our open user area Win98 machines. However, we are
concerned that this may degrade the responsiveness that the user sees
while Squid waits for the identd response from their PC. I suppose I
want to know if the ident lookup and logging are done synchronously with
handling the request, or does the request proceed as normal, with the
logging of the request and its corresponding ident occurring after
either an ident response has been received from the client or the ident
timeout has expired?

--
David Osborne                         david.osborne@nottingham.ac.uk
Academic Computing Services     phone/voicemail: +44 (0)115 951 3397