Fwd: RE: [SQU]

From: Jakob Curdes <jc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:45:27 +0000

---------- FWD: ----------
Subject: RE: [SQU]
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:38:13 +0000
From: Jakob Curdes <jc@info-systems.de>

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, you wrote :
>First of all, thank you for your answer.

Please keep your replies cc'ed to the list.

>>I've got a problem with my Squid-cache server, and I did not find any
>answer
>>in your FAQ :
>>
>>When the squid-server receives a request like following :
>>http://relay1.support.compaq.com:9010/,
>>it translates it to a request on port 9010.
>
>This IS a request to port 9010.
>
>****> I think I didn't explain the point precisely. What I meant was the
>following :
>The port 9010 is embedded in the HTTP request when it reaches the SQUID
>server : the server receives this request on TCP port 8080,
>as specified in the squid.conf. And squid send a request on port 9010, so
>there is a transformation of the request (TCP ISO 4th stack).

What do you mean by "embedded" ?
squid listens for client connections on port 8080 by default. AFAIK it sends
back the answers on the port numbers given by the original server. So if the answer comes
at 9010, squid will leave it there if this port is configured for proxying at all.
But this is unrelated to the inital problem : if I understand your drawing correctly,
squid is sitting behind the firewall on the intranet side. If your firewall blocks port 9010,
squid will never reach this site and cannot forward any information from there.
You will have to redirect the port on the firewall or open it there.

Hope this helps,