Re: [SQU] Ideal machine.

From: David Rees <dbr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 23:02:31 -0800

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 10:37:46PM -0800, Squid Mailing List account wrote:

> We're about to build a new squid server. What is the hot set up now days
> for a server keeping cost in mind. We're thinking about 512 Meg of ram and
> about 35 gigs of drive space. Is it best to use one big drive or to spread
> it out over several drives. If the latter what is the best way (keeping
> cost in mind) to achieve this?

How much bandwith do you have, how many users will you be serving, and
what's your budget? What are your goals?

For a budget minded squid server with good performance, try this:

Duron 700
512MB Ram
2 15-20GB 7200rpm IDE drives, one on each channel.

If you can spend another $125 each on a third or fourth drive, even
better, throw in an extra Promise PCI-ATA100 card or get the Asus A7V with
the Promise IDE card built in with a drive for each channel.

Make sure each drive is on a separate cable and that you're using 80pin
cables.

Then create 1 squid-cache directory on each drive, and away you go.

If you run out of CPU power (unlikely for such an IO limited task), you
can always upgrade to the latest 1.2GHz Athlon with no other system
changes. Remember that squid is mainly IO (network and disk) limited, and
then memory limited. I doubt that CPU power will be much of an issue.

-Dave