Re: [SQU] Performance Problem

From: Rainer Ginsberg <rainer.ginsberg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:28:53 +0100

On 18.11.00 10:22 +1100 Robert Collins <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
wrote:

>> Here is some data about our proxy usage:
>> - User authentication is done via LDAP to a directory on
>> localhost. I have specified 16 instances of squid_ldap_auth.
>> - At peak times we have about 100 requests per second.
>> - We use only five ACLs with up to 50 regular expressions.
>>
>> What are the main parameters that I should tune? What are the
>> parameters that I should look for in the cachemgr?
>
> Are you part of a hierarchy? If so are you using ICP/Digests? Most
> environments don't need ICP (and it introduces delays before requests get
> fired off).

No, I'm not part of a hierarchy. Though I have configured cache_peers,
which are Gauntlet firewalls.

> When you say the WWW was slow; do you mean that large files (say 1+Mb)
> have a slower download rate, or that requests are not initiated to the
> origin servers as quickly?

I mean that the request doesn't get sent, or the answer doesn't get
delivered to the client. When I try to access a web site, the browser
displays a white screen, and then nothing happens for a few minutes.
Then the site comes up, but with delays for every image.

Cheers,
Rainer