[SQU] IP precedence/header/TOS bits and delay pools

From: Dave Wilson <davew@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:36:57 +0200

Hi guys, howzit going ?

We limit all our clients international bandwidth usage based on what package
they purchase from us. i.e. a client pays for a limited 32K of international
bandwidth but has unlimited Local (South African) bandwidth.
We limit the clients International bandwidth based on their subnet range
using a Packeteer Packet shaper.

When we started selling these "Limit international bandwidth" packages we
had to ditch our transparent Squid proxy, because the proxy would obviously
fetch everything on behalf of the client at what ever bandwidth was
available on our main pipe, and thus the client was not getting limited at
whatever bandwidth was specified for that clients subnet range.
Putting our transparent proxy back would be a really great idea as long as
we can limit the bandwidth which our "bandwidth limited" clients use.
I have seen that delay pools would be perfect for the task, the problem is
that we would have to enter in every local IP range to discriminate between
local and international websites.
At the moment our upstream bandwidth provider "colors" or marks the
TOS/Precedent bit field of all our incoming international traffic, which our
packeteer then picks up and utilizes to discriminate between international
and local traffic.

Is there any way to patch Squid or use some external utility along with
Squid to recognize TOS/IP precedence fields and make delay pool decisions on
it ?
If this is possible then our transparent proxy will then be implemented
again. ;-)
Thanks.

Regards
Dave Wilson
The S.A. Internet
(033) 3456777
0825496159
http://www.sai.co.za
"Who is "General Failure", and what is he doing reading my hard disk ?"