[SQU] NTLM ANNOUNCE

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 12:31:33 +1100

Just to let everyone know:

1) Currently the NTLMSSP helper may not build on solaris. (there are
byte swapping macros in glib that are missing on (at least one) solaris.
We (read Kinkie :-]) are putting the primitives into squid in the near
future.

2) Also I have uploaded a snapshot tarball of the latest and greatest
auth_rewrite branch to
http://www.ideal.net.au/~collinsdial/auth-rewrite.tar.bz2

The auth_rewrite branch has bug fixes to ntlm, and improved modularity
for the authentication. (This makes little difference to users, but a
lot to developers. :-])

If you have had trouble getting the ntlm version, please try the
auth_rewrite tarball.

It takes the same configure parameters as ntlm. (And autoconf/autoheader
have already been run in the tarball so it's ready to go).

auth_rewrite has bugfixes to a number of issues in the current ntlm
branch, including

* ntlm only manages a single request per persistent connection
* squid FATALS on ntlm when a request is made after the user times out,
if the connection is still active.

auth_rewrite also has a number of minor performance tweaks over ntlm,
but only sites with very large user bases and/or acl rules will notice
any measurable difference.

Rob