[SQU] Excessive 504 errors

From: Robert Kosinski <whelkman@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 01:44:37 -0500

About half the websites I attempt to visit are met with a 504 error (as stated
in my access.log). I know these sites are actually up since turning off
proxying in my browser will allow me to access them, but I am at a loss at
what
is causing this problem.

Squid really does only half-work for me, and what sites do and do not work
seem
to be random. I cannot trace the problem.

I am using Squid 2.3.STABLE4 for i386--freebsd4.2 and a VERY simple access
control list. The Squid machine is using a direct (and
un-transparent-proxied,
as far as I know) connection to the Internet.

I have rigorusly perused the FAQ and Users Guide and gave a good go at the
mailing list archives, but I cannot find this problem. Any help would greatly
be appreciated. Thank you, and I apologize if this is a commonly reported
problem.