RE: [SQU] Excessive 504 errors

From: Robert Kosinski <whelkman@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 00:17:00 -0500

Robert Collins and Steve Thornhill:

Thank you very much for your helpful inputs.

Mr. Collins was on to my problem with the following suggestion:

> Can you access the sites that have the
> problem from your freeBSD box using
> lynx & no proxy?

The answer is no, I cannot. This machine is a packet forwarding firewall, but
omitted that fact to keep my post simple. However it turns out that all
machines behind the firewall have normal TCP access while the actual machine
does not. Squid's problems are merely a symptom of a greater problem. This
mystery affects FTP and such as well.

I tried shutting off packet forwarding and using the FreeBSD machine just as a
client. Unfortunately, since I compiled my kernel without the
IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT, I must use some sort of firewall rule in order
get 'net access. The problem persisted. I changed between several sets of
rules, and the problem is still there.

In short, this is obviously not a Squid problem, but Squid using direct access
on a machine that usually does not directly access the 'net made my problem
more
obvious. Since the nature of this problem baffles me and persists after
varied
rulesets, I'll probably have to seek some FreeBSD support.

Thank you very much for your help, and my apologies for asking non-Squid
related
questions on the Squid mailing list.