Re: [SQU] Resource temporary....

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 18:16:31 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Robert Milkowski wrote:

]On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Jens-S. Voeckler wrote:
]> Since Solaris defaults to 8KB sending UDP buffer size - which can always
]> only hold up to one (1) PDU (no regular buffering when sending UDP!!!),
]> at what rate does your Squid have to answer ICP? 50/s, 100/s?
]
]
]Thank you for answer.
] I think I need no more than 50/s.
]
]So, do you suggest to incrase UDP buffer size (outgoing)?

As I said (and can be re-read in more detail at
http://www.rvs.uni-hannover.de/people/voeckler/tune/EN/tune.html) The UDP
send buffer size does not really matter, as it is *not* a buffer. Just the
high watermark after which larger PDUs are truncated. But only *one* PDU
at a time will fit into the socket buffer, even if it is using only 50
byte of 8KB. If the socket buffer is busy, I guess sendto() will be
blocked. Or return EAGAIN in Squid's case.

Try switching to a different ICCP technique, e.g. cache digests, and
disallow ICP for all digest clients.

Ciao,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems (RVS)
University of Hanover, Germany; ++49 511 762 4726