Re: [SQU] Status of Squid development

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 10:53:19 +1100

I was thinking somewhat the same when I first started developing squid... however what has happened is that there was a long term
project called SquidNG that took a bunch of time. (I don't know details... sorry). That is wrapped up now and those people are back
in the main-line squid.

What *I know* has happened feature wise recently. (There may be more..)

In squid 2.4 there is
MS Windows 95/98/NT/2000 support (using cygwin).
The async I/O performance isssues are being fixed
Work is underway to reduce memory usage (this is a huge issue).
Somewhat faster startup times after crashes.
Additonal front-end acceleration options.
A modular store API allowing fast development/testing of new cache store ideas.

In progress and at beta quality - needing testing or more early adopters:
Memory allocation/reuse enhancements
comm_select/polling optimizations
SSL MITM support to act as a SSL front-end server, (off load the SSL from apache/IIS to squid)
NTLM (a.k.a. windows integrated) authentication support(both as a front-end accelerator and as a normal proxy).
Transfer-Encoding support (allowing gzip transfer of files for example)
Modular authentication API allowing easy integration of new authentication schemes (ie Digest/Kerberos).
Massively faster proxy auth acl checking for large sites (splay_tree_auth)

In planning/early stages
IP6 support
background cache consistency checks

I suggest you have a look at
http://squid.sourceforge.net/

and also look at the change log mailling there on sourceforge.

Squid itself is used by so many people that releasing bad versions of it can have an impact (perhaps I exaggerate here) globally. I
know very few ISP's that are using squid 2.3 - it just wasn't up to the 2.2 performance level.

I don't think this is covered regularly on this list...
but if you look at the archives for squid-dev you will see more info on 2.4 and the planned inclusions for 2.5 and possibly even
2.6.

FYI 2.4 is currently undergoing last-minute bug fixing - some memory leaks and memory trashing was discovered under load testing.
Once that's done the 'core' team will probably release a PRE1 and it will be official. Certainly feature development on 2.4 was
frozen about a month ago - all new development now goes into 2.5, and only bug fixes into 2.4

Rob