Re: [SQU] Re: Zero Sized Reply

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 10:27:40 +1100

David,
    Have you tried using the squid client? (bin/client). It can do http tracing.

What is your configuration? Are you using upstream peers or direct connections?
Did you use lynx or netscape/mozilla when you tested from the squid box? Was that program configured to use http/1.0 and not
http/1.1?

Are your users using the IE setting 'use HTTP/1.1 thru proxy connections'?
I find this breaks things all over the place. In particular htttps:
My _guess_ is that you have that option turned on, and Hotmail, Deja and the IBM support site all confirm the passwords via a
redirect to
a secure site to assign a cookie-token, and then back to http: for the rest of the vist.

What does your access log show for the site?

Do you have a firewall?

Does the error happen every time?

And did you know that squid is available as a commercial solution from third party companies (see the squid web site) who will offer
support levels, immediate reaction, code changes et al. instead of this damnably unreliable peer support group thing.

What you need to do to find the cause of the error is to remove variables one by one. Checking access from the same machine is a
good start.

Now check the http headers of the browsers request (from the squid box) vs the request made from squid. TCPDUMP can be useful to get
this info.

If they are different (other than the user-agent) see if the differences give any clues.

Rob