Re: [SQU] Can squid using file for auth ?

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 21:33:57 +1100

Thomas, you are aware that squid support user authentication, which offers tighter security than per-ip security. What if the user
is coming from a multi-user machine. Adding the IP will add all the users of that machine to your proxy (of course you may want
that). The downside of user authentication is plain text passwords. There are workarounds to that as well though - including network
level encryption via ipsec and or using NTLM authentication (which is in beta in squid now).

Rob