[SQU] Access.log Data Filtering

From: Andrea Lain <alain@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:23:40 -0800

Hello all,

Thanks for the help received in analyzing certain entries in the access.log
file. Now I have one more question along these same lines:

When filtering the access.log file with a script, we would like to be able
to differentiate between unique user requests and those generated by the
system. For example, when we hit a site such as Microsoft.com, the
access.log file shows a GET for the initial page, then subsequent CONNECT
requests (sometimes also GET requests) for items such as images.

We have built a custom script that filters this information to display only
requests for text/html and application data by URL. However, we are still
being presented with quite a bit of data and some of it is redundant. So we
are wondering if there's a more efficient way to filter the access.log to
return only requests initiated by the user and not include any subsequent
requests (like graphic accesses) that the system will initiate. Is there a
different field we can filter by that will narrow down this criteria?

We have looked at the log analysis script files available from the Squid
site and haven't found anything that accomplishes what we're looking for, so
at this point we're wondering if it's even possible to refine the data
output further.

All suggestions are welcome! And if you need more info on this issue,
please don't hesitate to drop an email to:

alain@dsra.com

CC: ljohnson@dsra.com

Thanks in advance!