Re: [SQU] The no_cache command is troublesome for already-cache objects

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:12:45 +1100

Chris,
I think you are confusing the DIRECT hierarchy code and cacheability of the object.

you can have a cache hit on DIRECT, and cache misses on peer retrievals.
(i.e. if your server contacts the origin server directly, and does an IMS request, and gets Not Modified back, then you will have a
cache hit).
always_direct controls the communication path, not the cache path. Serving cache hits may or may not require communicating with an
upstream server depending on the objects age.

always_direct does work with dstdomain acls, it just has nothing to do with cacheability.

You are correct in that no_cache doesn't flush the cache of current hot or warm cache objects. Search the list for 'purge' and you
will see discussions on how to do that. That should solve your problem for existing cached objects.

Rob