Re: [SQU] Q: Acceleration

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 08:37:41 +0100

Timothy Lorenc wrote:
> I am doing NameVirtualHost'ng on System1
> because I only have one IP Address for it and when I setup
> System2 with squid to accelerate web-pages from System1 I
> always get the same page.

You need to enable support for name virtual hosts in the accelerator as
well.

httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

Then you have to find the appropriate method of telling Squid which
server the requests should be forwarded to. For this you basically have
three options:

a) Use the httpd_accel_single_host option of recent Squids (a patch for
older Squids should be available from http://squid.sourceforge.net/hno/
somewhere)

b) Build Squid with --disable-internal-dns, and then add all the domains
to /etc/hosts of the Squid server, pointing to the IP of the real
server. In this case httpd_accel_host should be set to your "default"
domain.

c) Use a redirector to rewrite the requested domains to some internal
representation.

My vote is to go for alternative b. It is safest and most flexible.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker