Re: [SQU] MD5 hashing

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 08:26:29 +0100

Slow is a matter of scale. My P133 can calculate ~60K MD5 digests of
URLs (80 char long URL) per second using the OpenSSL MD5 implementation,
or ~30K/s using the MD5 implementation of Squid. Given that the hash is
calculated approximately 2 times per request (1 for cache hits, 3 for
misses) it still only adds up to a almost unnoticeable fraction of the
total CPU usage.

MD5 hashes provide a good hash with reasonably low risk of hash
collisions.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker