[SQU] Strange Squid/DNS problem

From: Thomas Nilsen <Thomas.Nilsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:26:40 +0100

I've set up two Squid servers. Server A is the primary proxy server, and B
is a branch server, always using Server A as a gateway if the object cannot
be loaded of Server B.

However, I've got a strange problem when it comes to access on internal
servers in our WAN.

If I configure a browser to use server A, asking for linux01 and
linux01.domain.net works fine. However, if I configure the browser to use
proxy server B, accessing linux01.domain.net works, but not linux01. "Unable
to determine IP address from hostname.." is the error. and Server A logs
error TCP_MISS/503.

I can ping the server linux01 without the domain name added from both
servers, as well as the client. Both proxy servers are set up with the same
DNS server.

Can anyone shed any light on this???

Regards, Thomas Nilsen
Kverneland IT AS
Global Services
Tel: +44 1380 722361 Ext 201 - Mob: +44 (0) 7967967317