Re: [SQU] SMP & Performance when disk i/o is not an issue

From: Costas Tavernarakis <taver@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:25:29 +0200

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 12:51:01AM +1300, Robert Collins wrote:
> As a minor enhancement you could look into what parts of squid are causing
> your cpu bottleneck. One user found that his proxy_auth acl's were using
> around 30% CPU. Another found that his peer_access regex's were chewing up
> nearly all the cpu and delaying requests 2-3 seconds.

Nope. I've been carefull enough about this, so that i don't use any cpu
hungry acls. I've actually have kept getting (and actually reading!)
squid-users for the past year or so, i've looked into most such suggestions
already.

> search the squid-dev archives or browse through them - someone (name escapes
> me right now) has written a patch to allow fine grained function profiling
> of squid. The reason I cannot jsut get up and say "look here" is that the
> used parts of squid will vary widely depending on your exact configuration.

Actually, it seems to me (no, i have no data to back it up yet, but it seems
pretty reasonable) that most of this is caused by squid having to look up
every object among 9475680 StoreEntries (which maybe hash not so perfectly?)

Costas