[SQU] Hardware RAID0 or 2 independ disks

From: Fabien Salvi <fabien@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:04:29 +0100

Hello.

I've posted a mail 2 weeks ago about problems with squid.
They are now resolved, thanks to the help of Joe Cooper.
So, I repeat my material :
PII-450 Mhz Bi-pro
512 MB RAM
9GB HD SCSI (RAID1 hardware with external controller)
NIC 3com 905b
Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (with glibc 2.1.3)

squid :
Squid :
squid 2.3.4 with squidGuard redirector (15 redirectors started)
Mem config in squid to 128
Cache_dir to 3200 MB
Reiserfs filesystem (r5 hash)

In fact, I have 25 to 35 requests/s
(What is the difference from the number returned by squid manager client
on 5min ==> squidclient mgr:5min server.http.requests and what I obtain
from mrtg in cacheServerRequests that is the double ?)

I am going to add 2 disks.
I have 2 solutions :
1) Using my RAID external controller (Mylex DAC960SX), I put the disks
in raid0, so I shoud have high performance

2) Using my RAID controller, I can put the 2 disks in independant, so I
configure 2 different cache_dir

You must know that I can't use disks outside my raid controller...

What is the best for high performance and increased load (should be more
than 50 requests/s in a few months) ?

Thanks in advance for your help !