[SQU] Tunneling - basics

From: <alasdair.hatfield@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:23:58 +0100

Greetings

Environment:
Three 'layers'
        Private project network (10.1.1.x)
        Company intranet network (130.145.y.x)
        Internet (The big bowl of spagetti out there)

Private network has squid running on dual homed Linux box. - Good
Second home of Linux box connected to Company intranet - Good
Netscape Navigator etc running on NT PC on Private network can see intranet - Better

Problem:
I need to create a situation whereby the NT PC on the Private network can see the internet.

IT department says (but gives no further clues) that to get through company firewall / proxy I need to 'tunnel' through squid proxy. I assume (please correct me) that this done, the NT PC will directly authenticate itself with the firewall.

1. How do I set up tunnelling on squid? If there is a FAQ etc I've missed it. Please can someone point it out.
2. Company firewall apparently uses Microsoft encripted passwords to authenticate users and allow access to outside world. Will I be able to implement this in
        a) Netscape on NT and
        b) Linux?
3. Can squid be used to convince the firewall that a system unable to provide authentification information (eg a peculiar application running on the NT box) is allowed to gain access? In this case, the Linux box running squid can have access to
unencripted passwords etc.

Any help / pointers etc gratefully received!!

Alasdair Hatfield
Liberate Project, Hasselt
DVS Product Services, Philips Industrial Activities B-3500 Hasselt, Belgium.
Tel. +32 (0) 11 30 62 29 - Fax. +32 (0) 11 30 59 58
e-mail alasdair.hatfield@philips.com