AW: [SQU] Parent Peer Failover [virus checked]

From: Ingo Wupper <ingo.wupper@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 16:52:27 +0100

I would say: Use the second conf posibility described here and enter 2 (or
more) parent caches.
> Vanco Euronet GmbH
> - the human network -
>
> Ingo Wupper
> (Leiter Geschäftsbereich eSecurity)
> Tel: +49 6102 785-601
> Fax: +49 6102 785-556
>

> The information contained in this eMail is confidential. It is
> intended solely for the addressee. Access to this eMail by anyone else
> is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any form of
> disclosure, reproduction, distribution or any action taken or
> refrained from in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
> Please notify the sender immediatly. All statements of opinion or
> advice directed via this eMail to our clients are subject to the terms
> and conditions expressed in the governing VANCO AGB's. The content of
> this eMail is not
> legally binding unless confirmed by letter.

Note: The information here is current for version 2.2.

First, you need to give Squid a parent cache. Second, you need to tell Squid
it can not connect directly to origin servers. This is done with three
configuration file lines:

        cache_peer parentcache.foo.com parent 3128 0 no-query default
        acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
        never_direct allow all

Note, with this configuration, if the parent cache fails or becomes
unreachable, then every request will result in an error message.

In case you want to be able to use direct connections when all the parents
go down you should use a different approach:

        cache_peer parentcache.foo.com parent 3128 0 no-query
        prefer_direct off

The default behaviour of Squid in the absence of positive ICP, HTCP, etc
replies is to connect to the origin server instead of using parents. The
prefer_direct off directive tells Squid to try parents first.