[SQU] How to turn off proxy when using accelerator mode 2.3.STABLE3

From: <stan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:56:49 -0800 (PST)

I'm having a weird problem. I checked the FAQ, and also the mailing list
archives, and I couldn't find a solution, so I'm asking here.

I have five Squid servers running as accelerators for various web sites
in the Earthquake Hazards Program. I've found that using a Squid as an
amplifier is the most cost-effective way of handling the occasional
large surges of traffic we get after earthquakes.

Anyway, the problem I'm having is with the three servers that accelerate
the earthquake.usgs.gov. They are all identical FreeBSD machines running
Squid 2.3.STABLE3. They are all set up as accelerators. But I found
that if I set up Netscape to point to any one of them as a regular HTTP
proxy, it will happily go and fetch yahoo, cnn, or whatever for me.
In the case of the two older Squids I have that are running 2.2.STABLE5,
if I do this, it gives an error. The older Squids refuse to fetch
anything that is not on their 'httpd_accel_host'. This is what I want
them to do, so how do I turn this off for the ones running 2.3?

I added:

httpd_accel_with_proxy off

and did a 'squid -k reconfigure', but it still does it. Is this a
peculiarity of 2.3 vs 2.2?

Thanks for any help or enlightenment.

--
Stan Schwarz                | Extreme sports...offer "some kind of physical
stan@cosmo.pasadena.ca.us   | analog to the thrill of installing Linux or