Re: [SQU] Authenticate problem:

From: Henk-Jan Kloosterman <proxy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 00:54:58 +0100

Robert Collins wrote:

> Henk-Jan,
> If you are willing to run up a test copy of squid on a spare machine,
for you to use (it's not stable code - it is likely to be
> part of squid 2.5) you could try the auth_rewrite branch of squid. It has
a bottom up rewrite of squid's internal authentication
> mechanisms. I left the basic specifics largely untouched, but I'm more
than happy to dig into them.. If you wanted to try it out
> it's available from http://squid.sourceforge.net/
>
> DO NOT replace your current production squid with it. I'm suggesting you
you up a local copy and that you test yourself against it
> to see how it goes.
>
> Rob
I will do that, if it works then: Is it save to trie it in production? I
also have a "test" production site (I can easily swicth, and between
christmas and new year I won't have too many users, so if it wokrs for
myself tommorow could I consider taking it in production?

2. Does it work on a 2.2.STABLE5.1 enviroment?

> Does the user need a challenge to get the password, or do they just type
in whats on the token at the time?

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> > Hmm.. maybe there are a proxy_auth cache defiency there. In theory the
> > first request carrying the new passphrase would be sent to the
> > authenticator, but maybe all are until the authenticator returns. Need
> > to check the code on this.
> >

>I have, and there sure is a small window when the ttl expires which
>allows for multiple lookups and possibly even a minor proxy_auth cache
>inconsistency (minor == might repair itself after a while and should
>have no bad effects apart from a few extra bytes of memory used).

How would it repair itself? Do I have to do something?

>It should be at least 3600 seconds from when the user user first was
>authorized (the proxy_auth helper last returned OK).

Looks like it.

>What you can do until a patch is provided is to further upper the TTL,
>which is probably a good thing anyway as HTTP is not really designed for
>password changes like this sporadically (every 3600 seconds) in the
>middle of a surfing session.

So it looks like to prblem ony occurs to my "heavy" internet users. (And
that's right!)
What would be the danger to set the authenticate_ttl to, let say, 8 hours?

>a) The browser is in the middle of fetching a page with X objects left
>to retreive
>b) The TTL expires, causing Squid to requery the authentication helper
>which will tell that the password is invalid (still the old password).
>Squid will then send "407 Proxy authentication required" to all those
>requests.
Looks like this!

?