Re: [SQU] All this NTLM stuff and possibly other bits ....

From: Craig Fels <csfels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:00:03 -0600

Rob will probably do a better job at answering this, but I feel like I need
to participate. ;-)

First, NTLM only works with IE.

In Squid.conf you specify the ntlm_auth helper and the parameters needed are
the domain and server name of a DC (I understand this works with a Samba
server acting as a DC also).

If I'm logged on to DOMAIN1 as CRAIG, then IE passes the NTLM credential
information to Squid. Squid validates the password that is sent "behind the
scene" with the DC specified in squid.conf. If it is a match, then squid
grants access to that user, unless denied based on ACL rules.

The access.log file records the username in the domain\userid fashion. In
this case, it would show domain1\craig. This is INCREDIBLY helpful for
locating internet abusers.

Have fun with the NTLM patch. Robert and Kinkie did a great job on it.

Craig