Re: [SQU] Advantages

From: Joey Casas <joey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:33:27 -0500

We just recently 'retired' the proxy and caching functions of our Novell
Border Manager box in favor of a Linux/Squid setup. The hardware is not
quite as beefy as on the Border Mangler setup but it is doing at least
well a job perf-wise and we've almost forgotten its there. This compared
to the almost daily job of 'mucking' with Border Mangler.

So my compelling argument is that it is reliable.

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 08:14:32PM -0000, Florin Andrei wrote:
> >From: S Nithyanandham <snithyanandam@yahoo.com>
> >
> >I am in the process of evaluating various cache box.I
> >did see the cache-off results and find that there are
> >lot of other caching solution which give a better
> >price/performance. But I still find lots of ISP using
> >Squid. I would like to know what are the compeling
> >advantages of squid over other cache products. This
> >will help me in my process of evaluation
>
> 1. Lies
> 2. Damn lies
> 3. Benchmarks ;-)
>
> The Squid code is very clean, like for any other Open Source product. Maybe
> you don't have some obscure features, like in some commercial caches, but it
> works very well, and is very stable.
> Right now, i'm trying to get rid of Netscape proxy on my network, and put
> Squid instead. Netscape just sucks.
> Because so many people use Squid, you can obtain a lot of support, and for
> free. ;-)
>
> --
> Florin Andrei

-Joey-                                                                                                                                                                  The real threat is not that everyone won't be connected,                                        but that everyone won't be able to disconnect.