Re: [SQU] Best OS For Using Squid

From: Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:04:41 +0100

At 04:55 PM 1/12/01 +0100, Bubux Bubux wrote:
>Hi at all,

[...]

>Can you advice me what is the best OS (linux or
>alternative) for using Squid and Squid Guard

There are many opinions so I'll try not to start an OS war. I am running
Squid on Solaris 2.5 and Sun Ultra-1 hardware. The reason why I like
Solaris (on Sparc only!) is that the Sun hardware platform is pretty robust
and Solaris has sensible performance when you load the machine to the max.
The task scheduling of Solaris 2.5 seems better tuned to *my* needs than in
Linux 2.2.x. I have found that it is not to complicated to monopolize the
CPU with trivial tasks causing the important services to slow down. This
seems more difficult in Solaris.

Another issue is hardware stability. I prefer the Sun (Sparc) hardware. I
am running many Sun and PC based systems in my lab. Only the Suns have
managed to stay alive (and still perform their job) All PCs have ran into
hardware trouble. All considering: for me the cost of ownership seems
better on the Sun platform.

As an illustration: The machine has an up-time of more than 380 days now
and Squid (2.2-Stable5) has only been restarted to do some configuration
changes and upgrades.

My Linux (RH6.0) systems are pretty stable too but tend to burp once every
5 or 6 months (I am running alpha ATM drivers though)

In short it is not only the OS but also the hardware platform that counts
(and your budget)

>Thank you,
>Bruno
>ICQ 74777901

Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
Tel: +31 70 3142454
E-mail: marc.van.selm@nc3a.nato.int (PGP capable)
Tactical ATM: +31 70 3148183 / 71183