RE: [SQU] Authentication with Kerberos - WARNING

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:53:46 +1100

Actually HTTP allows new authentication schemes to be defined, that do
NOT send the username and password in clear text. RFC 2617 defines one
such mechanism, and Microsoft have been using another - NTLM - for
years. The MS is broken in some respects, but there is no fundamental
reason that Kerberos proxy authentication cannot be utilised. MS Have
built this capability into IIS 5, and AFAIK into IE 5.5. It's probably a
good research topic to see what they've done.

There are specifications for adding kerberos as a session key /key
exchange method for TIS, but that doesn't help on straight http.

Finally, any authentication method that is not easily hacked on a LAN
will require either a) encrypted data links (ie ipsec from browser to
proxy) or b) per request authentication that uses the shared secret and
the URL being requested in a deterministic, non guessable fashion.

So authenticating to a SSL encrypted page will not help much..

Rob