Re: [SQU] Limitations

From: Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 13:34:02 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I think, possibly, that you are asking too much from
Squid. In a fundamental level, all squid really is, is
just a way to cache webpages.

However, there is a program out there for the tasks
that you wanted. It is called proxyether. (sorry I
cannot remember the URL)

Hope that helps,

Thomas Adam
--- Devin Teske <devinteske@hotmail.com> wrote: >
Hello,

> I'm hitting major limitations here with squid. The
> fact that it can't handle
> usernames for an upstream proxy with spaces in it,
> that you can't set a
> fallback authentication proxy, and the fact that you
> can't set up you users
> in a database, is hampering my project.
>
> The only way I can see myself of getting over those
> limitations is if I knew
> how to program in C++ and reprogram parts of squid
> and/or helper
> applications.
>
> So, is there anything more powerful than squid (one
> preferrably that has
> those features)? I need something! ((Delagate? Proxy
> Soft?))
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Devin Teske

=====
Thomas Adam
Linux Co-ordinator for The Purbeck School

e-mail (school): n6tadam@users.purbeck.dorset.sch.uk
e-mail (yahoo) : thomas_adam16@yahoo.com