Re: [SQU] Forcing Users To Use proxy

From: Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:05:26 +0100

At 11:22 PM 1/29/01 +1030, Mick Collins wrote:
>I was wondering if there was a way of re-directing all traffic (weather or
>not it is using proxy or not) to use the proxy server

The always simple and effective way to do this is to block outgoing traffic
on port 80 (except for the proxy) in the router. That seems to motivate
users to switch on the proxy. It is rude but if you want have all your
users use it you will have not much choice (except for a transparent proxy
setup)

>eg in proxy settings in ie5 you set to use a proxy.
>
>if that is unchecked could it deny all incomming and outgoing web accesss??
>
>Cheers
>

>Yours Sincerly,
>
>Mick Collins
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>E-Mail : mickwell@bigpond.com
>E-Mail 2 : mickwell@eadelaide.com
>E-Mail 3 : gromit@esc.net.au
>WWW : http://www.mickwell.mine.nu
>FTP : ftp.mickwell.mine.nu
>Mobile : 0403 737 145

Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
Tel: +31 70 3142454
E-mail: marc.van.selm@nc3a.nato.int (PGP capable)
Tactical ATM: +31 70 3148183 / 71183