RE: [SQU] Forcing Users To Use proxy

From: Kieran Skinner <kieran.skinner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:19:05 -0000

Hi,

I may be missing something here, but I would have thought the best way to
force users to use proxy would be to.

a) Install Firewall between users and Internet
b) Only allow outgoing traffic on port 80 or whatever from the IP address
of the squid proxy
c) Tell users to point proxy settings in browser at squid to get web
access.

Play round with inbound and outbound access filters as desired on firewall
to gain desired level of security.

You do this trick for FTP to just use different ports etc...

I think almost any other way, user can change settings on PC and choose not
to use proxy.

Kieran