Re: [SQU] Transparent Concept

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:18:08 +0100

The full explanation depends on the context, but I am assuming the
context here is HTTP proxy/caches with transparent hijacking of port 80?

If so then the difference is (if there is any) that the cache includes a
cache, while the proxy only proxies without caching.

Note: The term transparent is overloaded, having different meanings
depending on whom you ask. To some it means a setup which hijacks port
80 traffic where the client tried to go to other servers, to some it
means a semantically transparent proxy which does not change the meaning
or content of requests/replies.

There is no such thing as a truly transparent proxy, only
semi-transparent. And certainly not such a thing as a trulu transparent
cache.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker