Re: [SQU] SYN Flooding!

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 23:07:17 -0600

Not a Squid question. This has to do with the Linux kernel and it's
synflood protection features. The fact that you're seeing this,
probably means it is doing it's job. (Though it can be triggered
falsely...it shouldn't cause any harm.)

If you're getting a lot of them from the same source, maybe you should
take a look to see who is doing it and find out what program they are
running to cause it (whether it is a maliciousflood program, or an
innocent but badly behaved web client). If you're getting a lot of them
at random, then maybe there is a problem on your network.

It's just secondary information that Squid is running on the port that
is seeing the possible flood, as Squid does not cause/trigger/etc.
anything of the sort to happen. So this question is probably best
answered on a more Linux-specific mailing list (and a quick search for
that error message on Google will probably bring up a nice discussion on
the subject--yep, I just checked...tons of great information.).

Hope this helps.

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances