Re: [SQU] some questions

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:13:57 +0100

gv_squid wrote:

> 1. udp-incoming address.
> As for me, we should give the local squid ip address to listen
> ICP- queries. If so why should we explicitly give this? If am wrong.
> educate me.

It sets the IP address where Squid listens for ICP or HTCP queries.

Will eventually go away, instead allowing IP specifications in the
icp_port (and htcp_port) just as for http_port today.

> 2. cache_mem 8 MB
> can we pose any restriction to squid process to limit the
> memory with in 8 MB? Squid.conf says It may exceed double or 3 times
> of the value we have given.

cache_mem controls the size of the memory object cache. This is in
addition to the memory required for running and keeping track of the
disk cache.

> 3. what is the diffrence between ipcache_size and fqdncache_size.
> My understanding is second is storing fully qualified domain
> names where as first stores ip addresses.

ipcache stores domainname->ip lookups.

fqdncache stores ip->domainname lookups.

> 4. Please explain Debug_options

Controls the amount of debug information Squid logs in cache.log.

Leave it the default setting (ALL,1) until you find that you have need
for them to debug a problem. Usually you will be told to use a specific
setting by the developer that is trying to pinpoint the exact problem
you might be expiring.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker