Re: [SQU] identd question

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:32:21 +1100

Intercepting proxy is the correct term for what is often called transparent proxy. Transparent proxy is defined in rfc 2616 and is
short hand for "semantically transparent" - doesn't change the meaning of the http protoocl exchanges.

Ident looks up the owner of a tcp connection on your client machines by a local port/remote port pair.

ie if machine A has a connection from port 32012 to machine B port 80, then machine B can ask machine A for the username belonging
ot (32012,80). No one else can ask this, because that would be a significant security hole.

When you use a intercepting proxy C , the proxy is not listed in machine A's list of connections - machine B is. Thus machine B will
never answer questions from proxy C.

Ths issue has nothing todo with bound ports on the proxy server, rather the violation of TCP/IP and HTTP protocol rules that is
occuring.

Rob