Re: [SQU] IBM Host On Demand

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:30:40 +0100

Adam Lang wrote:

> Ok, I guess I didn't getcha the first time...
>
> Even with transparent proxying, if someone has an authentication script pop
> up on their page, it will still work, correct?

Correct. Normal WWW authentication where the user/browser authenticates
to the origin server will work just fine.

> As for proxy authentication, you are saying if you have your proxy setup to
> only allow certain users, that is broken?

You cannot use proxy authentication unless the browser is configured to
use a proxy. A intercepting proxy does not exists in the view of the
browser, and therefore the idea of performing proxy-authentication to a
non-existing proxy won't be (and SHOULD NOT be) accepted by the browser.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker