Re: [SQU] Cannot rotate

From: Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 13:43:50 -0800 (PST)

Awie,

Hello once again!! I am sorry that this is such a
belated reply. If you recall, I did say that I was
going to post instructions on how to get "logrotate"
to rotate the logfiles for you. Here goes....

By default, logrotate is installed. The file that you
will need to configure is called "logrotate.status"
and is found in "/var/lib". Make a backup of this file
(incase something goes wrong) and edit the original,
and ensure that the following is the only thing in
in the file:

"/var/log/httpd/access.log" {
           rotate 5
           mail www@my.org
           errors www@my.org
           size=100k
           postrotate
                                     /sbin/killall
-HUP httpd
           endscript
       }

Save the file. I would suggest that you change the
size variable to 1000k since this number is the size
overwhich the log gets rotates. Also, change the name
"/var/log/httpd/access.log" to the path of the squid
access.log, i.e. "/var/squid/logs/access.log"

Once this has been done (fingers crossed) save the
file, and type in "logrotate" at the console.

Let me know if this works as I have done this from the
top of my head with no reference aids to help me!!

Regards,

Thomas Adam
re: thomas_adam16@yahoo.com

--- Awie <awie@eksadata.com> wrote: > Folks,

> Sorry to re-post this question, however I need your
> suggestion.
>
> I cannot rotate my log files that I run /dir/squid
> -k rotate. My rotate tag in squid.conf is set to 7.
>
> Your answer is very appreciated.
>
> Thx
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Awie

=====
Thomas Adam
Linux Co-ordinator for The Purbeck School

e-mail (school): n6tadam@users.purbeck.dorset.sch.uk
e-mail (yahoo) : thomas_adam16@yahoo.com