Re: [SQU] SSL Gatewaying

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:09:15 +0100

John Castillo wrote:

> so... followed the link at http://squid.sourceforge.net but the link for
> SSL gatewaying is stale and the new website has little information. my
> question is this.

The new website is mostly a placeholder for future things to do. The
only real documentation is squid.conf.

> if i were to figure out how to setup SSL gatewaying with squid,
> 1 - would i then be able to setup a transparent proxy that would
> CLIENT <---over https---> SQUIDPROXY <---over http---> INTERNALRESOUCE ?

Yes.

> 2 - if 1 is true, then how do i retreive the SSL patch ? (i'm very
> unfamiliar with CVS)
> i am currently using squid-2.3.STABLE4-1

Download it from SourceForge.

The patch is only available as a patch for Squid-HEAD (2.5-alpha
development versions). Squid-HEAD is downloadable from
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.5/

> 3 - provided that communication between the client and the squidproxy
> would preferrably be secure (and in my case encrypting the traffic would
> be the only financially viable solution), would (1) be a good solution?
> communication between squidproxy and internal resource is assumed to be
> private and secure.

As described above.

/Henrik