Re: [SQU] Flushing memory

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:01:41 +0100

Adrian Bolzan wrote:

> The memory I am talking about is RAM.

Which a used box should only have very little free (about 1MB), or else
your OS is misbehaving. Some RAM is used for applications, other for OS
managed buffers which are automatically reclaimed if there is
applications demaning more memory.

> Without Squid, the linux box uses about 40 MB memory. thsi is fairly
> stable. when I use squid, with a cache_mem setting of 20MB memory
> usage increases continually until all of the 512MB of RAM is used, causing
> other processes, such as sendmail, to stop.

So you are saying that you run out of SWAP, causing the box to crash?

> According to the FAQ I may be able to fix this by compiling with malloc.
> Until then, I regularly have to reboot the PC to refresh the flush the RAM
> memory. I would prefer to stop squid in such a way that emory is flushed.
> as it is, only about 40MB is released on stopping squid.

Does not make sense.

If you only get 40MB back by stopping Squid, then Squid is only using
about 40MB + some.

See the cachemgr "General Runtime Information" for information about how
much memory Squid is using. If the "Free" value is high then you MAY
have a problem with malloc, and there COULD be a reason to try dlmalloc.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker